The Business & Technology Network
Helping Business Interpret and Use Technology
«  
  »
S M T W T F S
 
 
 
 
 
1
 
2
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
31
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

PAGCOR gives 50 million grant to Philippines Immigration Bureau

DATE POSTED:July 1, 2025
Image from the Memorandum of Agreement signed at PAGCOR executive office in Pasay City on Monday / PAGCOR, the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation, has signed off on Php50 million ($887,600) of support for the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to deport foreign workers involved in illicit offshore gaming operations. 

PAGCOR, the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation, has signed off on Php50 million ($887,600) of support for the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to deport foreign workers involved in illicit offshore gaming operations. 

The first payment was made available immediately, following a Memorandum of Agreement signed at PAGCOR executive office in Pasay City on Monday (June 30). 

Half of the funds have been released, with a further Php25 million to follow. 

The financial assistance is of mutual benefit to the organizations as it assists the Bureau to crack down on unlawful activity, while also combating the scourge of black market gambling. 

PAGCOR Chairman and CEO Alejandro H. Tengco said the grant would cover the required repatriation costs to return illegal POGO workers to their native countries. 

“These individuals are unable to return to their home countries because they cannot afford a plane ticket, said Tengco said. 

“This grant will ensure they receive assistance in accordance with international laws and humanitarian considerations.”

01 July 2025
BI, PAGCOR SIGN AGREEMENT TO FURTHER EXPEDITE DEPORTATION OF POGO WORKERS

READ: https://t.co/8IqyxJtDem pic.twitter.com/k74qoFfPtt

— Bureau of Immigration, Republic of the Philippines (@immigPH) July 1, 2025

Inter-agency efforts to safeguard gaming industry

CEO Tengco continued to detail the ongoing collaboration between the Philippines government-owned gaming corporation and its agency partner: 

“PAGCOR has been continuously collaborating with the BI in enforcing the government’s ban on offshore gaming operations, following President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.’s directive last year,” he said.

“This inter-agency effort is not just about sending people home; it also ensures that only legitimate gaming operations are allowed in our country,” outlined Tengco.

Last month, the Philippine government shut down 7000 unlicensed gambling websites as the country tries to curb addiction to the platforms.

However, it is admittedly struggling with the rising proliferation of unregulated platforms, with more opening up as others are closed.

According to reports, concerns about specific “Scatter” games were repeatedly raised.

Scatter is a slots game where the symbols don’t need to line up to match, but Castro added that the game was available under a PAGCOR license, highlighting an issue of regulatory difficulty.

Image credit: BI

The post PAGCOR gives 50 million grant to Philippines Immigration Bureau appeared first on ReadWrite.